Name: Teunie van Herk
Field of work: Biochemistry and Biocatalysis; from characterization of proteins to the application in biocatalysis
Aim: Exploring enzymes in the broadest sense of the word
Current work: Postdoc at the Institute for Molecules and Materials, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Postdoc in the Laboratory of Biochemistry, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Postdoc at the Institute for Molecules and Materials, Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
ACTS IBOS SME project “Enzymatic synthesis of enantio- and diastereomerically pure unsaturated β-hydroxy-α-amino acids and synthetic elaboration into biological relavant derivatives.”
PhD/doctoral degree in the van’t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences, Bio-organic chemistry, University of Amsterdam, The Neterlands
NRSCC project “Bacterial class A acid phosphatases as versatile tools in organic synthesis”.
Studies Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
Main subject traineeship, Department of Medicinal Chemistry: Pyrazole derivatives as partial agonists for the nicotinic acid receptor.
Subsidiary traineeship, Department of Biofarmaceutics: Liposomes as targeting device for the atherosclerotic plaque.
List of publications
- T. van Herk, A. F. Hartog, L. Babich, H. E. Schoemaker R. Wever, Improvement of an acid phosphatase — DHAP-dependent aldolase cascade reaction by directed evolution, ChemBioChem 2009, 10, 2230-2235.
- A.F. Hartog, T. van Herk, R. Wever, Regeneration of NADPH and/or NADH cofactors, 2008, Eur. Pat. Appl. 1925674 A1.
- T. van Herk, A. F. Hartog, R. Wever, Enzymatic method for producing dihydroxyacetone phosphate, 2007 PCT Int. Appl., WO 2007003574.
- T. van Herk, A. F. Hartog, H. J. Ruijssenaars, R. Kerkman, H. E. Schoemaker, R. Wever, Optimization of the kinetic resolution of the DL-phosphomonoesters of threonine and serine by random mutagenesis of the acid phosphatase from Salmonella enterica. Adv. Synt. Catal. 2007, 349, 1349-1352.
- T. van Herk, A. F. Hartog, H. E. Schoemaker, R. Wever, Simple enzymatic in situ generation of dihydroxyacetone phosphate and its use in a cascade reaction for the production of carbohydrates: Increased efficiency by phosphate cycling J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 6244-6247.
- T. van Herk, A. F. Hartog, A. M. van der Burg, R. Wever, Regioselective phosphorylation of carbohydrates and various alcohols by bacterial acid phosphatases; Probing the substrate specificity of the enzyme from Shigella flexneri. Adv. Synth. Catal. 2005, 347, 1155-1162.
- N. Tanaka, Z. Hasan, A. F. Hartog, T. van Herk, R. Wever, Phosphorylation and dephosphorylation of polyhydroxy compounds by class A bacterial acid phosphatases, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2003, 1, 2833-2839.
- T. van Herk, J. Brussee, A. M. C. H. van den Nieuwendijk, P. A. M. van der Klein, A. P. IJzerman, C. Stannek, A. Burmeister, A. Lorenzen, Pyrazole derivatives as partial agonists for the nicotinic acid receptor. J. Med. Chem. 2003, 46, 3945-3951.
International Symposium on Biocatalysis and Biotransformations 2009 (Biotrans 2009), Bern, poster: Chemoenzymatic synthesis of enantio- and diastereomerically pure β-hydroxy-α-amino acids.
International congress on Biocatalysis 2008 (Biocat 2008), Hamburg, poster: The phosphatase – aldolase – phosphatase cascade reaction; Improvement by directed evolution of an acid phosphatase.
Multi-step Enzyme Catalysed Processes 2006 (MECP’06), Graz, Lecture and poster: A simple enzymatic synthesis of dihydroxyacetone phosphate and its use in a cascade reaction for the production of carbohydrates.
International Symposium on Biocatalysis and Biotransformations 2005 (Biotrans 2005), Delft, Poster: Phosphorylation of (poly)hydroxycompounds by acid phosphatases.